Independent Co-Educational Day School
The first school on our site was opened in 1914 as Leehurst Convent School run by the Sisters of Christian Religion who had begun a school in 1911 in Wainalong Road. This became La Retraite in 1953 when it was taken over by the Sisters of La Retraite. In 1996, it was joined by the Swan School for boys, a Prep School for boys aged 4-11 founded by Miss Swanton in 1933. The School was established as an Independent Charitable Trust in 1988. In 2007, the school was given its new name, Leehurst Swan, to reflect the tradition of its predecessors.
The school occupies a six acre site. The main building, built as a family house, dates from the late 19th century, and there have been additions built at various times up to the present day. September 2010 saw the completion of the ‘Walker Hall’, a multi-purpose performance hall also providing new classrooms for the Music Department and outstanding facilities for Performing Arts. In 2014 we completed a substantial building project, the Centenary Building; a new Prep school providing state of the art teaching facilities.
The school also has a pavilion and playing fields in The Close, inherited from the Swan School for Boys.
In September 2015 we opened ‘The Nest’, which offers bespoke childcare for children aged 6 weeks to 2 years.